Monday, December 7, 2009

Tonights Creation


I got home from work around 5pm and had to get little Sima fed. Tonight was the perfect example of making most of what I had on hand since I didn't have enough time to run to the grocery store. I had organic chicken breast, Yukon potato, and some vegetables. I believe that a good cook must be able to make use of what they have in the pantry and get creative. I decided to make a pan seared chicken breast that was finished off in the oven for about 7 minutes at 400 degrees. I made a quick orange gravy using the juices from the chicken and adding dry vermouth, chicken stock, shallots, garlic, tbsp of fresh squeezed orange juice and a dab of butter.


The potatoes took about 3 minutes to prepare. I cut a large Yukon potato into 12 wedges and added some salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, dried thyme and olive oil. I then put the potatoes in a Pyrex dish and roasted them in the oven for 45 minutes at 400 degrees. They turned out delicious, crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Yum!


Since I had no lettuce or cucumber, I decided to make a salad out of tomatoes, avocado, and red onion. The different textures worked really well together and the onion added a really nice crunch. I whipped up a quick vinaigrette using lemon juice, orange juice, olive oil and some salt & pepper.


This meal took less than an hour to prepare and cook. So easy and my husband gave it a big thumbs up. The only thing I would have changed was reduce the salt in the gravy. Next time you pick up the phone to order take out, just think about what you may have on hand. You will save money and have a good home cooked meal in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment