Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Easy Split Pea Stew with Basmati Rice...




This dish takes me right back to my moms kitchen. It's so easy to make and FULL of flavor. The best part is the crispy potatoes that top this dish. You experience a crunch that is followed by succulent beef in a aromatic tomato sauce. This recipe is of course inspired by my beautiful mother but I had to give it my own burst of flavor.

Enjoy!

Khoreshte Ghemeh


1 lb stew meat
1 cup yellow split peas

1 large finely chopped yellow onion

2 whole garlic cloves
1 can tomato sauce

2 or 3 dried limes (limoo amani) You can find this at Mediterranean Stores.

1 cup cherry tomatoes

Juice of one small lemon ( meyer lemons are the best!)

2 tbsp turmeric

1 tsp cumin

kosher salt

ground black pepper

pinch of red pepper flakes


Crispy potatoes:

2-3 large potatoes (peeled and thinly sliced like french fries)

Fry potatoes in hot canola oil until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.




Step 1:

Prepare your meat. I like to rinse my meat and let it dry on paper towels. Make sure to dry well which allows the meat to brown better. Slice each cube in four ways (bite size pieces).

Step 2:

Heat 2-3 tablespoons canola oil in a dutch oven. Add onions and brown for 5-7 minutes.

Step 3: Add meat and make sure to get a good sear on each side. About 3-4 minutes. Season meet and onions with kosher salt, ground pepper, turmeric, cumin and red pepper flakes. Add garlic cloves and yellow split peas and saute for 2 or 3 minutes longer.
Step 4: Add enough water to barely cover the meat. Simmer for 30-45 minutes.

Step 5: Add tomoto sauce and dried limes. Adjust seasoning if neccesary. Simmer on low for another hour.

Step 7: About 30 minutes before hour is up add the cherry tomotoes and lemon juice.


Top with crispy potatoes and serve over Basmati Rice.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Mahsa!
    Just saw your segment on youtube about making stuffed salmon. You were amazing!
    And the best part is, I am jonoobi [Southern] too. You took me right back home with you ... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post put a smile on my face. I am so glad I was able to take you "back home". What a great compliment!

    Thank you~

    Mahsa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I found your web site via Google while looking for a related topic, your website came up, it looks good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks
    organic white rice

    ReplyDelete